ACT Location Walks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ACT Location Walks

Post  Steve Crook on Sun 07 May 2017, 3:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I am Steve Crook and I run the Powell and Pressburger Appreciation Society (PaPAS) with a web site at http://www.powell-pressburger.org/ and an email group behind it. We've been running the email group since 1998.

I wanted to talk about the ACT Location Walks which we've been running every year on the last Sunday in August (the weekend when the film was set) since 1999. They were led by Paul Tritton (author of "A Canterbury Tale - Memories of a Classic Wartime Movie") until 2011 and by me since 2012.

We visit various locations, usually rotating between Chilham, Fordwich and Canterbury itself. At various locations we will pull a few "volunteers" from the crowd and get them to read the lines that were spoken there in the film as a "playlet". We will also relate some of the history of the film at each location and just meet other devotees of the film and talk about this film and other Archers' films.

There have been hundreds of people who have joined us for the walks over the years, usually each with their own reasons for liking A Canterbury Tale (ACT) or P&P films in general.

I often cite Emeric Pressburger's words from an interview in New York City, in 1980 "I think that a film should have a good story, a clear story, and it should have, if possible, something which is probably the most difficult thing - it should have a little bit of magic . . . Magic being untouchable and very difficult to cast, you can't deal with it at all. You can only try to prepare some nests, hoping that a little bit of magic will slide into them."

There was certainly a chunk of magic that found its nests in ACT  Very Happy

Steve
Steve Crook
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

http://www.powell-pressburger.org

Back to top Go down

Re: ACT Location Walks

Post  Saint George on Mon 08 May 2017, 4:19 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for starting the A Canterbury Tale Location Walks topic. I knew your society had done location walks in the past, but I wasn't sure if they were still being held, but thanks for that confirmation. I'm presently stuck in Australia, nothing to do with glue, but I will be permanently moving to the UK in May of next year and buying a cottage near Canterbury. With ACT celebrating its 75th year of the start of production (1943-2018) and then in 2019 the 75th anniversary of the world premiere of the film, the next two years will be a real big deal for ACT fans not just in the UK, but also in other parts of the world. I will keep this topic at the top of the page so it gets the most exposure and I plan to mention it on YouTube and Twitter, the more people that know the better. Cool
Saint George
MODERATORS
MODERATORS

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wilson on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 1:26 am

2017 LOCATION WALKS TOWN IS FORDWICH

Andrew Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint George on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 6:14 am

MAP DIRECTIONS FROM CANTERBURY TO FORDWICH

Saint George
MODERATORS
MODERATORS

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Wilson on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 3:29 am

STREET VIEW OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE FORDWICH ARMS:

PUB FOR SALE - £120,000 LEASEHOLD

Last edited by Andrew Wilson on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 4:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Andrew Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Saint George on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:07 am

FORDWICH DUCKING STOOL VIDEO

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE VIDEO CLIP OF OLD FORDWICH AND THE DUCKING STOOL IN ACTION.

Last edited by Saint George on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Saint George
MODERATORS
MODERATORS

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Young on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 2:14 am

DAILY WEATHER FORECAST FOR FORDWICH

CLICK ON THE WEATHER ICONS FOR UPDATED FORECAST.
Richard Young

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top